One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
1A spoon used for dessert, smaller than a tablespoon and larger than a teaspoon.
- ‘Form the mixture into egg-shaped quenelles using two dessertspoons.’
- ‘They had laid cash, including a hefty tip, on the silver plate, and commandeered an unused dessertspoon to act as a paperweight.’
- ‘With the back of a dessertspoon, gently press the fruit down into the ramekin.’
- ‘She spied a dessertspoon with the lumpy pudding they had left - if she was going to make her ‘great escape’, no matter how long it was going to take, she was going to have to make it somewhere!’
- ‘With a dessertspoon, scoop out the seeds and discard.’
- ‘I played with my dessertspoon as the others began to clear up, my conversation with Chase echoing through my head.’
- 1.1 The amount held by a dessertspoon, in the UK considered to be 11.8 millilitres when used as a measurement in cooking.
- ‘Try around a dessertspoon a day for one month before the season starts to build up antibodies.’
- ‘To speed up the beauty part of the process, invest in a body exfoliator or pour a dessertspoon of olive oil over a handful of sea salt granules and apply to the skin, daily.’
- ‘Make a small roux by melting about 20 g butter and flour (roughly a dessertspoon of each) together in a saucepan.’
- ‘Cover base of a large serving dish in double cream, add a dessertspoon of pesto and stir to combine.’
- ‘A short while before the match kicks off, heat a dessertspoon of the oil in the pan and add the chopped onion and pepper.’
- ‘Spread the butter side with 1 dessertspoon of mayonnaise then top this with lettuce, then the bacon, then the tomato and season with pepper (no salt, bacon is salty enough).’
- ‘Toss with a dessertspoon of sea salt and pack into a colander pressed with a weighted plate for approx. 1 hour.’
- ‘Add one dessertspoon of honey and two teaspoons of lemon juice.’
- ‘A serving of vegetables is two dessertspoons.’
- ‘For diarrhoea try a dessertspoon cornflour with 1/2 cup water.’
- ‘When the pan is hot (test by dropping a teaspoon of batter on to it: it should bubble within one minute), drop 1 dessertspoon of batter into the pan and repeat three times to make four pancakes.’
- ‘India's wine consumption is less than one dessertspoon per capita.’
- ‘Spoon dessertspoons of batter into the pan and cook on a medium heat until the underside begins to brown and the tops look lightly set.’
- ‘To exceed advised levels of exposure from eating grossly contaminated DU dust which had settled within a destroyed tank, in practical terms, a child would need to set about swallowing over five dessertspoons heaped with dust.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.