Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A sweet wine drunk with or following dessert.
- ‘One month we may cover Tuscan wines, another a month of dessert wine, a month of Burgundy etc.’
- ‘But if pressed, I would leave this as a dessert wine, pairing it with chocolate.’
- ‘This was washed down by using a dessert wine, a Chateau Gravas Barsac 1996, to complement the rich and creamy taste of the duck liver.’
- ‘I was further cheered by the dessert wine, Muscat de Rivesaltes - a half bottle cost us €15.20.’
- ‘In their minds, sweetness equals naffness, unless the liquid is a dessert wine.’
- ‘And if you want to gild the lily, a ruby or vintage port, or perhaps a black Muscat dessert wine, makes for a lovely accompaniment.’
- ‘Thus I find myself drawn to foods marinated in white wine, red wine, sherry, champagne, dessert wine, or whatever is in the cupboard.’
- ‘Mavrodaphne is best known as a dessert wine that is akin to the flavor and aroma of tawny port.’
- ‘This bill covers dessert wine, sherry, vermouth, port - the drinks of the matriarchs, shall we say.’
- ‘I have used several different liquors and spirits for soaking dried fruits to be used in fruit cake, but again, not a dessert wine yet.’
- ‘BC ice wine (a dessert wine that can only be made in places where the weather turns very cold after harvest) is simply delicious.’
- ‘Also known as ‘Eiswein’ in Germany, it is a sweet dessert wine made from frozen grapes with the ice discarded, making it very concentrated in flavour, acidity and sugar.’
- ‘This is a remote arid area of thorn bushes, ostriches, and minimal rainfall, but the town, Montagu, is famous for the production of muscatel, a sweet dessert wine.’
- ‘Wonderfully sweet, I wouldn't mind having it in place of a dessert wine.’
- ‘In the dessert wine category there is Beerenauslese and the even sweeter Trockenbeerenauslese.’
- ‘The wine comes in a bewildering range of styles from the ultra-sweet to a bone dry version which more closely resembles a dry fino sherry than a dessert wine.’
- ‘If you want the ultimate dessert wine with Bananas Foster or anything else with caramelized sugar you need look no farther than the top Cream Sherry wines.’
- ‘With the dessert came a very sweet dessert wine, a most interesting Padthaway Noble Riesling, 2001 vintage.’
- ‘Oloroso is generally thought of as a powerfully sweet dessert wine.’
- ‘A 6-ounce glass of sweet dessert wine, such as Riesling, with 21 carb grams, has 270 calories.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.