One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A sweet wine drunk with or following dessert.
- ‘With the dessert came a very sweet dessert wine, a most interesting Padthaway Noble Riesling, 2001 vintage.’
- ‘In their minds, sweetness equals naffness, unless the liquid is a dessert wine.’
- ‘Mavrodaphne is best known as a dessert wine that is akin to the flavor and aroma of tawny port.’
- ‘Thus I find myself drawn to foods marinated in white wine, red wine, sherry, champagne, dessert wine, or whatever is in the cupboard.’
- ‘One month we may cover Tuscan wines, another a month of dessert wine, a month of Burgundy etc.’
- ‘But if pressed, I would leave this as a dessert wine, pairing it with chocolate.’
- ‘Oloroso is generally thought of as a powerfully sweet dessert wine.’
- ‘I was further cheered by the dessert wine, Muscat de Rivesaltes - a half bottle cost us €15.20.’
- ‘This was washed down by using a dessert wine, a Chateau Gravas Barsac 1996, to complement the rich and creamy taste of the duck liver.’
- ‘In the dessert wine category there is Beerenauslese and the even sweeter Trockenbeerenauslese.’
- ‘This is a remote arid area of thorn bushes, ostriches, and minimal rainfall, but the town, Montagu, is famous for the production of muscatel, a sweet dessert wine.’
- ‘The wine comes in a bewildering range of styles from the ultra-sweet to a bone dry version which more closely resembles a dry fino sherry than a dessert wine.’
- ‘A 6-ounce glass of sweet dessert wine, such as Riesling, with 21 carb grams, has 270 calories.’
- ‘This bill covers dessert wine, sherry, vermouth, port - the drinks of the matriarchs, shall we say.’
- ‘BC ice wine (a dessert wine that can only be made in places where the weather turns very cold after harvest) is simply delicious.’
- ‘And if you want to gild the lily, a ruby or vintage port, or perhaps a black Muscat dessert wine, makes for a lovely accompaniment.’
- ‘Also known as ‘Eiswein’ in Germany, it is a sweet dessert wine made from frozen grapes with the ice discarded, making it very concentrated in flavour, acidity and sugar.’
- ‘If you want the ultimate dessert wine with Bananas Foster or anything else with caramelized sugar you need look no farther than the top Cream Sherry wines.’
- ‘Wonderfully sweet, I wouldn't mind having it in place of a dessert wine.’
- ‘I have used several different liquors and spirits for soaking dried fruits to be used in fruit cake, but again, not a dessert wine yet.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.