One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Of or typical of a despot; tyrannical.‘a despotic regime’
autocratic, dictatorial, totalitarian, authoritarian, absolute, absolutist, arbitrary, unconstitutional, undemocratic, anti-democratic, uncontrolled, unaccountable, summaryView synonyms
- ‘There is not a grain of evidence that primitive government was despotic and tyrannical.’
- ‘Obeying no law, despotic authority was arbitrary, and its animating spirit was fear.’
- ‘Even if other nations wished to act selflessly on behalf of the oppressed by attacking a despotic state, the charter of the United Nations forbids it.’
- ‘All it has done is replace one despotic tyrannical regime with another that is mildly better in some ways, and much worse in others.’
- ‘Autocratic, theocratic, despotic regimes allow no political freedom, all thought is outlawed, and brute suppression is the norm.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.