One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Of or typical of a despot; tyrannical.‘a despotic regime’
autocratic, dictatorial, totalitarian, authoritarian, absolute, absolutist, arbitrary, unconstitutional, undemocratic, anti-democratic, uncontrolled, unaccountable, summaryView synonyms
- ‘Autocratic, theocratic, despotic regimes allow no political freedom, all thought is outlawed, and brute suppression is the norm.’
- ‘Obeying no law, despotic authority was arbitrary, and its animating spirit was fear.’
- ‘All it has done is replace one despotic tyrannical regime with another that is mildly better in some ways, and much worse in others.’
- ‘There is not a grain of evidence that primitive government was despotic and tyrannical.’
- ‘Even if other nations wished to act selflessly on behalf of the oppressed by attacking a despotic state, the charter of the United Nations forbids it.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.