A structure by which two adjacent cells are attached, formed from protein plaques in the cell membranes linked by filaments.
- ‘These spindle cells formed small desmosomes and produced patchy basement membrane.’
- ‘The diagnosis was confirmed by the ultrastructural demonstration of large desmosomes and long microvilli at the cell surface.’
- ‘Specialized structures were present, including microvilli of varying length, desmosomes, and cell membrane interdigitations.’
- ‘Hence the plug is a specialized cytoplasmic structure, unlike desmosomes, gap junctions, or septate junctions, which are formed from membrane appositions.’
- ‘Vimentin fibers terminate at the nuclear membrane and at desmosomes, or adhesion plaques, on the plasma membrane.’
1930s: from Greek desmos bond, chain + -some.
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.