Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
[mass noun] Stubble that a man deliberately allows to grow on his face in order to look fashionable.‘Bill generally has a few days' growth of designer stubble’
- ‘I gel my hair so it looks cool, and I don't shave, so I have designer stubble.’
- ‘His bouffon hair and designer stubble are well-known to French TV viewers.’
- ‘The one with the blonde hair and designer stubble looks like he stepped off a catwalk.’
- ‘Bill is quite swarthy, and generally has a few days growth of designer stubble on his face.’
- ‘I'm really hoping designer stubble comes back in at some stage, or even better, full beards.’
- ‘He spends hours a day carefully making sure his designer stubble is perfectly arranged.’
- ‘The man, who is a fireman, does seem rather smooth in a smart blazer, open-necked shirt and designer stubble.’
- ‘Bosses say designer stubble is unacceptable.’
- ‘Officers have been banned from sporting designer stubble.’
- ‘It also turned Don into one of the hottest stars of the moment; famous for his sleeveless tops and designer stubble.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.