One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A non-fielding player named before the start of a game to bat instead of the pitcher anywhere in the batting order.
- ‘Primarily a first baseman and outfielder, he also played 62 games as a designated hitter.’
- ‘The Yankees used several designated hitters in 1978.’
- ‘In 1973, the American League introduced the designated hitter rule on an experimental basis in hopes it would help attendance and liven up the game.’
- ‘Finally, there will be no designated hitters, and each team will have only two pitchers - a starter and a reliever.’
- ‘Next are right fielders with 21 followed by left field, center field, third and second base, shortstop, catcher and designated hitter.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.