One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A non-fielding player named before the start of a game to bat instead of the pitcher anywhere in the batting order.
- ‘Finally, there will be no designated hitters, and each team will have only two pitchers - a starter and a reliever.’
- ‘The Yankees used several designated hitters in 1978.’
- ‘Next are right fielders with 21 followed by left field, center field, third and second base, shortstop, catcher and designated hitter.’
- ‘In 1973, the American League introduced the designated hitter rule on an experimental basis in hopes it would help attendance and liven up the game.’
- ‘Primarily a first baseman and outfielder, he also played 62 games as a designated hitter.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.