One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A person who abstains from alcohol at a social gathering so as to be fit to drive others home.
- ‘Some general decrease in per capita alcohol consumption and the use of designated drivers has helped.’
- ‘Does that mean that I'll have to be the designated driver?’
- ‘Are you playing the designated driver tonight?’
- ‘They had been at a party, then went on a beer run while the designated drivers were taking people home.’
- ‘Unit members selflessly volunteered numerous off-duty hours as dispatchers and designated drivers for the base Airmen Against Drinking and Driving program.’
- ‘Save the extra driver cost by choosing a designated driver.’
- ‘This year's drink driving campaign includes a reward for designated drivers who have volunteered to provide a safe journey home.’
- ‘As a non-drinking male, I discovered a very easy way to meet non-drinking females in a drinking environment: Volunteer to be the designated driver whenever possible.’
- ‘We are saying do not drink and drive, get a designated driver or sleep it off.’
- ‘They've come up with a party guide that includes alcohol-free drink recipes for designated drivers, special coasters and red ribbons you can put on your drive as a pledge to drive safe and sober.’
- ‘Blaine and Claire had been selected as the designated drivers, and were hard at work figuring out how to properly operate one of the most advanced vehicles ever built.’
- ‘Even if we try our best to behave, we'll still need a designated driver, and who else can we ask?’
- ‘The drinkers must agree to support the designated driver in abstaining from alcohol.’
- ‘Finally, she created a group staff Designated Driver Program, acquiring volunteer designated drivers, thus increasing the probability of a safe return home for all members.’
- ‘Bailey can be the designated driver since she's the only underage driver.’
- ‘Operators also seem to benefit from the opportunity to sample a years' worth of spirits in an evening, although some might want to arrange designated drivers.’
- ‘Kara and Janet were only there as designated drivers, they usually popped around when they had thought their husbands would be needing a lift home.’
- ‘Offer a variety of non-alcoholic beverages for the designated driver and others who prefer not to drink alcohol.’
- ‘When you go out and drink, have a designated driver.’
- ‘Auto marketers could issue weekend test drives to household influencers - or perhaps to designated drivers.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.