Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A remote tropical island, typically an uninhabited one.‘Carwyn seemed like a castaway on a desert island’
- ‘But hurry, they won't be forever deserted desert islands.’
- ‘I liked to play pirate games back then, sailing the rolling main, fighting bad people, sinking their ships, and burying my treasure under palm trees on desert islands.’
- ‘A poor Jamaican fisherman was shipwrecked on a desert island.’
- ‘Which literary character would you least like to be stranded on a desert island with and why?’
- ‘Its story of a group of schoolboys stranded on a desert island after an aeroplane crash who descend into savagery still has the power to shock and enthral.’
- ‘Due to some unforeseen plot machination, your character is washed up on the beach of a tropical desert island.’
- ‘If you were stranded on a desert island, which five items would you chose to have with you?’
- ‘I think on a desert island the river journey would be even more evocative.’
- ‘If you had to select and take one instrument to accompany the rest of your life on a desert island, only one instrument, what would it be?’
- ‘By then the atoll's two desert islands had been planted with grass and ironwoods on soil imported from Guam.’
- ‘Today, it is practically unknown to outsiders, a remote marine wilderness teeming with undersea life and dotted with day-dreamy desert islands.’
- ‘Imagine, for the sake of argument, that you have been stranded on a desert island, a veritable tropical paradise.’
- ‘What would be your three desert island essentials?’
- ‘Who would you like to be stranded on a desert island with?’
- ‘I feel like growling, packing a bag and heading for a remote desert island where only the wind bothers to whisper.’
- ‘If we were to be castaways on a desert island, these are the goods we would pack by the caseload.’
- ‘This means that paddling a kayak around desert islands during the day and camping amongst the cactus at night is easy.’
- ‘If I got marooned on a desert island I'd be barking mad within three days.’
- ‘If I had to take only two albums to a desert island with me, this would be the one I choose without even giving it a second thought.’
- ‘Most of us carry a store of memories and hopes of beach life, from rock pools and sandcastles to romantic encounters walking along the silver sands on a desert island.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.