One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A lightweight boot with the upper made from suede.‘a woman dressed in jeans, desert boots, and a big overshirt’
gumboot, wellington, wader, walking boot, riding boot, field boot, jackboot, thigh boot, half-boot, ankle boot, pixie boot, chelsea boot, balmoral, moon boot, snow bootView synonyms
- ‘The tall, dark-haired fisherwoman had then taken off in the direction of the hulk of rotting wood and rusting steel, the soles of her sand-coloured desert boots sending up a liberal spray of grey, choking dust.’
- ‘The review also acknowledged serious problems with the supply of equipment to troops in the front line, including uniforms, body armour and desert boots.’
- ‘Streets become flooded by blocked or non-existent drainage and many of the Dukes have donned their black Goretex boots to combat the mud, casting aside their light sandy coloured desert boots.’
- ‘Then she proceeded to remove her black desert boots, which she found filled with grains of sand.’
- ‘He was 19 and wore a leather cap, blue jeans and well-worn desert boots.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.