Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A word or expression used to describe or identify something.
- ‘We included single words, short and long phrases, rhymes, names of numbers, and other descriptors and action word phrases.’
- ‘The descriptor words themselves appeared one or more times within a particular obituary or across different obituaries.’
- ‘Word descriptors reflect the distinct qualities of the language of breathlessness, and as health professionals, we must ask the correct symptom questions to determine the appropriate interventions.’
- ‘Values are expressed as mean [+ or -] SD, and the word descriptors are expressed as [chi square] or by p value.’
- ‘Next, I determined whether the literature distribution is different across different key word descriptors describing environmental endocrine disruption.’
A piece of stored data that indicates how other data is stored.
- ‘Scanning an array of descriptors or waiting for data consumes processing time.’
- ‘System calls also serve this generalization function across programming languages; e.g., the read system call will read data from a file descriptor.’
- ‘Since Linux stores the process descriptor and the kernel mode process stack in a single 8KB memory area, we can use this fact and avoid allocating memory for labeling the subjects.’
- ‘Method of scheduling interrupts to the linked lists of transfer descriptors scheduled at intervals on a serial bus’
- ‘The use of the descriptor to steer the data into the transmit buffer or out of the receive buffer allows a simplified hardware implementation as compared to prior art methods that must examine and count the data as it is transferred.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.