One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Diesel oil for road vehicles.
- ‘‘It's costing us about £25,000 per month for derv,’ he said.’
- ‘Today, the company, which supplies the Garage, dropped its prices to 79.9p per litre on unleaded, 85.9p on LRP and 83.9p per litre on derv - roughly 5p down on last week.’
- ‘Deep-sea fishermen blockaded the majority of French southern yacht and sport ports in protest against derv (diesel oil) price increases.’
- ‘Also I doubt if many will own their cars long enough to recoup the additional purchase price and the extra cost of derv.’
- ‘Smaller operators tend not to be quite as well organised and suffer from resistance to claims for haulage rates increases on the back of increases in the cost of derv.’
1940s (apparently Second World War forces' slang): acronym from diesel-engined road vehicle.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.