One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
- ‘He has made derogative remarks, made players uncomfortable playing for him, and is not leading the team in the right direction.’
- ‘Jonny replies, ‘I don't see it as derogative - it is of course reductive and simplistic but it sells a serious number of books that otherwise wouldn't be sold.’
- ‘How can you describe him in such derogative terms with no experience of his personality or behaviour?’
- ‘Don't be stupid, boy,’ she said in the most derogative voice possible.’
- ‘The expression used to be derogative, especially during ‘cultural revolution’ but nowadays, if you say someone is ‘petty bourgeois’, he will probably take it as a compliment.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.