One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
- ‘Don't be stupid, boy,’ she said in the most derogative voice possible.’
- ‘Jonny replies, ‘I don't see it as derogative - it is of course reductive and simplistic but it sells a serious number of books that otherwise wouldn't be sold.’
- ‘The expression used to be derogative, especially during ‘cultural revolution’ but nowadays, if you say someone is ‘petty bourgeois’, he will probably take it as a compliment.’
- ‘He has made derogative remarks, made players uncomfortable playing for him, and is not leading the team in the right direction.’
- ‘How can you describe him in such derogative terms with no experience of his personality or behaviour?’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.