One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
1The lateral wall of each somite in a vertebrate embryo, giving rise to the connective tissue of the skin.
- ‘The dermatomes do no more than represent the original relationship of the limb buds to the trunk at the earliest stage of development of the embryo.’
- ‘In the thoracic region, the myotome has grown ventrally to meet the ventral edge of the dermatome, the cells have become spindle shaped.’
- ‘In the embryo dermatomes can be represented as horizontal stripes on the body surface.’
- 1.1Physiology An area of the skin supplied by nerves from a single spinal root.
- ‘Another symptom may be referred pain in a related dermatome or myotome; for example diffused pain in the buttock or thigh.’
- ‘Although any vertebral dermatome may be involved, T5 and T6 are most commonly affected.’
- ‘The characteristic vesicular rash of herpes zoster usually affects a single dermatome and rarely crosses the midline.’
- ‘The pain is associated with partial weakness in the muscles supplied by the involved nerve root and sensory loss in the appropriate dermatome.’
- ‘Referred pain has many of the characteristics of parietal pain but is felt in remote areas supplied by the same dermatome as the diseased organ.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.