One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
- ‘Assuming that they stuck to the ideology of interventionism, the policymakers would respond yet again with a new intervention to correct for the second and, derivatively, for the first.’
- ‘Aesthetic qualities he conceived either as intrinsic qualities of mind, or, derivatively, as the qualities of objects of design.’
- ‘The word for hour by the end of the fourth century was hora; earlier this same word had meant ‘season’ and, derivatively, ‘fitting or appointed time.’’
- ‘Now that we have begun to produce energy directly in nuclear power plants of our own design and construction, we are merely tapping the universal energy source that previously we have used only indirectly and derivatively.’
- ‘Individual acts of racial or gender discrimination do so only derivatively, by reinforcing the systemic violation.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.