One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
verb[with object]Biochemistry Genetics
Activate (enzymes, genes, etc.) from an inoperative or latent state.
- ‘Starvation for histidine derepresses the entire operon, the longest then known.’
- ‘Most of the genes are derepressed in the absence of a functional hns gene, indicating that H-NS mainly functions as a repressor.’
- ‘Blocking deacetylation by sodium butyrate or trichostatin A derepresses silent rRNA genes subject to nucleolar dominance.’
- ‘In addition, these mutations were able to derepress endogenous genes at HML.’
- ‘About 3% of yeast genes are derepressed in tup1 mutants, as determined by microarray analysis.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.