Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
verb[WITH OBJECT]Genetics Biochemistry
Activate (enzymes, genes, etc.) from an inoperative or latent state.
- ‘Most of the genes are derepressed in the absence of a functional hns gene, indicating that H-NS mainly functions as a repressor.’
- ‘Blocking deacetylation by sodium butyrate or trichostatin A derepresses silent rRNA genes subject to nucleolar dominance.’
- ‘About 3% of yeast genes are derepressed in tup1 mutants, as determined by microarray analysis.’
- ‘Starvation for histidine derepresses the entire operon, the longest then known.’
- ‘In addition, these mutations were able to derepress endogenous genes at HML.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.