Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
Obtain the address of a data item held in another location from (a pointer).
- ‘On other CPUs, the data dependency implied by the pointer dereference suffices, so on these CPUs, line 18 generates no code.’
- ‘The x command evaluates and pretty-prints any expression, prepending a numbered index on each line of output, dereferencing anything that can be dereferenced and indenting each new level of dereferencing.’
- ‘Any dereference of a pointer that causes a fault must be an access to an object on an access frontier page.’
- ‘Therefore, each user or process that needs to resolve an identifier must know, a priori, which service should be used to dereference that identifier.’
- ‘It took me about 8 hours to figure out how to dereference a multidimensional array which points to another array structure in PERL (a web script programming language).’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.