Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
Morally corrupt; wicked.‘he was a depraved lecher’‘this city is depraved’
corrupt, corrupted, perverted, deviant, degenerate, debased, degraded, immoral, unprincipled, reprobatedebauched, dissolute, profligate, lewd, licentious, lascivious, lecherous, lustful, prurient, obscene, indecent, libertine, sordidwicked, sinful, vile, base, iniquitous, nefarious, criminal, vicious, brutalwarped, twisted, pervy, sick, sickoView synonyms
- ‘But deep within this depraved human being is a need for cohesion and clarity.’
- ‘I'm just speechless at that level of depraved planning.’
- ‘But somehow or other we have to attempt to understand the origins of this depraved, evil behaviour.’
- ‘Someone who can, in all deliberateness, actually give forth that depraved statement would do well, truly, to reconsider or shut up.’
- ‘Legend tells us that the golden civilisation became so corrupt and depraved that it was destroyed by the angry gods - but did the city ever exist at all?’
- ‘Be prepared to be asked to engage in all sorts of depraved activities.’
- ‘While I escaped his lecherous depraved mauling, other young men were not so lucky.’
- ‘Inevitably, you must wonder whether barbarism is the natural condition of man let loose, or the depraved state of man when corrupted by violence.’
- ‘It isn't the first time he has shown a depraved indifference toward responsibility, and sadly, it may not be the last.’
- ‘‘To plan and execute the violent attack on her sleeping husband was really a most depraved act,’ he said.’
- ‘According to this model, conversion is seen as a momentous transformation of life from a depraved past to a sacred present and a promised future.’
- ‘There are some sick, sick people in this world and I do not want to be part of their quest to find the depraved things they are looking for.’
- ‘For several years he himself has been voluntarily living in a depraved state.’
- ‘What if she is not a depraved sadist but an insecure character desperate for approval?’
- ‘But she said: ‘I had gone to celebrate a friend's birthday and all of a sudden was drawn into some depraved sex show.’’
- ‘As her reliance on the townspeople grows, they make increasingly depraved demands on the woman.’
- ‘No one should be in any doubt about his depraved intentions’
- ‘And what I draw from it is that this is a man with a depraved heart and a complete disregard for human life.’
- ‘Such a universally useful item should not be regarded as depraved.’
- ‘The depraved plot is shot with a schizophrenic camera incorporating elements of peepshows, montage and silent horror films amongst others.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.