One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Adjust or alter (a sail) so that the wind no longer fills it.‘you need to depower the mainsail’
- ‘A fully adjustable rig allows a crew to depower in high winds - enabling both light and heavy crews to race head to head.’
- ‘The bending boom will flatten and depower the sail which enables the lightweight sailor to go faster in more wind.’
- ‘Contained in a compact package inside the spar, the double-ended system allows crew to quickly power or depower the sail from the trapeze.’
- ‘This set-up is not to generate power, but to depower the rig and concentrate the power in the bottom half of the sail.’
- ‘This will flatten the upper two thirds of the mainsail and depower the sail.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.