One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Substantial reduction in the population of an area.‘rural districts experience depopulation and economic decline’
- ‘The accelerating house prices and environmental destruction in the east of the island is mirrored by depopulation in the west.’
- ‘Many regions have suffered depopulation precisely because of the declining job prospects and poor infrastructure available.’
- ‘However, in rural lowland constituencies there is a widespread feeling that core issues such as depopulation, infrastructure and access get overlooked.’
- ‘He claimed that such a scheme would help prevent further rural depopulation.’
- ‘He argued forcefully against the depopulation of rural villages.’
- ‘The future of Irish rural life depends upon effective measures to reverse depopulation.’
- ‘The biggest challenge facing the agency is the depopulation and economic decline in peripheral areas.’
- ‘The Roman Empire seems to have collapsed largely because of depopulation and epidemics.’
- ‘During the first half of the current decade, the pace of depopulation actually increased in many places.’
- ‘They seem to envisage an irreversible downward spiral leading to the depopulation of Australia.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.