One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Substantial reduction in the population of an area.‘rural districts experience depopulation and economic decline’
- ‘The accelerating house prices and environmental destruction in the east of the island is mirrored by depopulation in the west.’
- ‘He argued forcefully against the depopulation of rural villages.’
- ‘The Roman Empire seems to have collapsed largely because of depopulation and epidemics.’
- ‘They seem to envisage an irreversible downward spiral leading to the depopulation of Australia.’
- ‘However, in rural lowland constituencies there is a widespread feeling that core issues such as depopulation, infrastructure and access get overlooked.’
- ‘During the first half of the current decade, the pace of depopulation actually increased in many places.’
- ‘The future of Irish rural life depends upon effective measures to reverse depopulation.’
- ‘He claimed that such a scheme would help prevent further rural depopulation.’
- ‘The biggest challenge facing the agency is the depopulation and economic decline in peripheral areas.’
- ‘Many regions have suffered depopulation precisely because of the declining job prospects and poor infrastructure available.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.