Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
Reduce or remove the polarization of.‘the threshold necessary to depolarize the membrane’
- ‘Light passing through such a liquid crystal can be polarized and depolarized by changing the field and has led to the liquid crystal displays we see in watches, microwaves, and laptop computers today.’
- ‘The positive charge that they carry produces a further membrane depolarization, which activates additional sodium channels, so depolarizing the membrane even further.’
- ‘Why a small proportion of resistant cells (or untreated sensitive cells) should have depolarized membranes is not known.’
- ‘The flow of cations through the receptors rapidly depolarizes the postsynaptic membrane, and the signal is propagated along the electrically excitable membrane toward the next nerve cell.’
- ‘The ability of the plasma membrane to depolarize remains functional in the rho cells as evidenced by the release of insulin with the depolarizing agent KCl.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.