Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
Reduce or remove the polarization of.‘the threshold necessary to depolarize the membrane’
- ‘Why a small proportion of resistant cells (or untreated sensitive cells) should have depolarized membranes is not known.’
- ‘The positive charge that they carry produces a further membrane depolarization, which activates additional sodium channels, so depolarizing the membrane even further.’
- ‘The flow of cations through the receptors rapidly depolarizes the postsynaptic membrane, and the signal is propagated along the electrically excitable membrane toward the next nerve cell.’
- ‘The ability of the plasma membrane to depolarize remains functional in the rho cells as evidenced by the release of insulin with the depolarizing agent KCl.’
- ‘Light passing through such a liquid crystal can be polarized and depolarized by changing the field and has led to the liquid crystal displays we see in watches, microwaves, and laptop computers today.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.