Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
[mass noun] The action of depicting something, especially in a work of art.‘the painting's horrific depiction of war’[count noun] ‘Michelangelo's depictions of the male nude’
picture, Painting, portrait, drawing, sketch, artist's impression, study, illustration, portrayal, representation, image, likenessportrayal, representation, presentation, description, delineation, characterizationView synonyms
- ‘But uniformity is lacking even between animal depictions within the same painting group.’
- ‘If one went by media depictions, he lamented, one would think his neighbourhood is a crime-ridden slum.’
- ‘Artschwager has also continued to produce paintings, typically monochromatic depictions of buildings.’
- ‘There is, of course, more to these depictions of New York streets than a simple realism of setting.’
- ‘The prime concern of landscape painting is the depiction of natural scenery.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.