One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Deprived of ‘phlogiston’. Oxygen was originally called dephlogisticated air by Joseph Priestley.
- ‘When informed by Priestley about dephlogisticated air, Lavosier repeated the experiments quantitatively.’
- ‘Priestley's ‘discovery’ of dephlogisticated air was later reformulated into part of the discovery of oxygen by French aristocrat and polymath Antoine Lavoisier.’
- ‘After other attempts to release oxygen failed, Davy concluded that dephlogisticated muriatic acid gas was actually an element rather that a compound with oxygen.’
- ‘Burn a log in the fireplace, air carries off the phlogiston, and the dephlogisticated log reveals itself as a pile of ashes.’
- ‘Lavoisier's colleague Claude Berthollet therefore proposed that Scheele's dephlogisticated muratic acid gas must be a combination of oxygen and an undiscovered element, muriaticum.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.