One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Deprived of ‘phlogiston’. Oxygen was originally called dephlogisticated air by Joseph Priestley.
- ‘Lavoisier's colleague Claude Berthollet therefore proposed that Scheele's dephlogisticated muratic acid gas must be a combination of oxygen and an undiscovered element, muriaticum.’
- ‘Burn a log in the fireplace, air carries off the phlogiston, and the dephlogisticated log reveals itself as a pile of ashes.’
- ‘When informed by Priestley about dephlogisticated air, Lavosier repeated the experiments quantitatively.’
- ‘After other attempts to release oxygen failed, Davy concluded that dephlogisticated muriatic acid gas was actually an element rather that a compound with oxygen.’
- ‘Priestley's ‘discovery’ of dephlogisticated air was later reformulated into part of the discovery of oxygen by French aristocrat and polymath Antoine Lavoisier.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.