Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
Adherence to departmental methods or structure.
- ‘A revival of departmentalism could reverse that trend and make the court more circumspect, for the better.’
- ‘And he believes it is important that civil service departments work together and that we break down departmentalism in the service so we have more teamwork and less competing interests.’
- ‘One continuing theme is lack of corporate working - an overabundance of departmentalism.’
- ‘He regards himself as the custodian and spokesman for the strategy, has strengthened the centre to counter the effects of departmentalism and promote what he calls ‘joined up government’.’
- ‘Over time, the doctrine of judicial supremacy displaced departmentalism.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.