One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Die.‘he departed this life with a putrid liver’
pass away, pass on, lose one's life, depart this life, expire, breathe one's last, draw one's last breath, meet one's end, meet one's death, lay down one's life, be no more, perish, be lost, go the way of the flesh, go the way of all flesh, go to glory, go to one's last resting place, go to meet one's maker, cross the great divide, cross the styxView synonyms
- ‘All his life he was a quiet, gentle and peaceful man and departed this life in the same manner.’
- ‘We will remember loved ones who have departed this life but we will especially pray for the bereaved to help them through this sad and lonely time of grieving and loss.’
- ‘It is nice to see that the old traditions of praying for relations who have departed this life, has survived in this modern age of cynicism.’
- ‘He departed this life on Sunday, 22 April, at 5: 50 pm at his home in the company of his family and friends.’
- ‘Sadly most of them have now departed this life, but they always will be remembered at Foynes.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.