Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A removable plate or frame holding one or more artificial teeth.‘ideally, dentures should be renewed every three or four years’[as modifier] ‘denture plates are manufactured from plastic acrylic resin’
- ‘If you wear dentures, be sure to keep them clean and have them adjusted if they are ill-fitting.’
- ‘There are some advantages to retaining selected teeth under dentures instead of having them extracted.’
- ‘On closer inspection he saw this was a pair of false teeth, dentures.’
- ‘Older patients with dentures and partials also need to take precautions against a dry mouth.’
- ‘Difficulty eating can come from ill-fitting dentures, sore, loose or missing teeth.’
- ‘The two incidents brought a plea from the dentist and his colleagues for people to monitor their dentures and bridges.’
- ‘By the late eighteenth century, porcelain had replaced ivory as the material of choice for teeth in dentures.’
- ‘Metal dentures should not be soaked in hypochlorite as they may discolour’
- ‘Use a separate toothbrush to clean your dentures.’
- ‘Complete dentures are used when all upper and lower teeth are missing.’
- ‘If you've lost most or all of your natural teeth, you might use dentures or dental implants as a replacement.’
- ‘All teeth can be replaced with removable partial or complete dentures.’
- ‘Like natural teeth, dentures must be kept as clean as possible.’
- ‘Oral thrush most commonly affects people who wear dentures.’
- ‘Devices such as dentures and guide dogs help people bridge the gap between what they want to do and what their physical health allows them to do.’
- ‘If you wear dentures, your dentist should make sure they fit right so you do not get any mouth sores.’
- ‘Poorly fitting dentures can cause you to swallow excess air when you eat and drink.’
- ‘Partial removable dentures are best taken out and thoroughly cleaned to facilitate mouth care.’
- ‘Swelling of the jaw causes dentures to fit poorly or become uncomfortable’
- ‘Another sign of a cancer of the mouth or gums is when dentures no longer fit well.’
Late 19th century: from French, from dent tooth, from Latin dens, dent-.
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.