Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A person who is qualified to treat diseases and other conditions that affect the teeth and gums, especially the repair and extraction of teeth and the insertion of artificial ones.‘his mouth is still sore from his visit to the dentist's’‘a leather dentist's chair’
- ‘Before you have a tooth taken out, it is worth discussing with your dentist how it could be replaced.’
- ‘Most dentists recommend that you should replace your toothbrush at least every three months.’
- ‘Visit your dentist or hygienist to have your teeth scaled and polished on a regular basis.’
- ‘It is likely your dentist will prescribe antibiotics to control the infection.’
- ‘Your dentist or health visitor can help you look after you child's teeth if you are not sure what to do.’
- ‘You will have to follow what your dentist has taught you to make sure you remove plaque every day.’
- ‘Your dentist will look at your teeth for signs of wear due to grinding and examine your jaw joint.’
- ‘Check with your dentist or health visitor if you are unsure about how to look after your baby's teeth.’
- ‘Most people have teeth removed under local anaesthesia by a general dentist or oral surgeon.’
- ‘Gagging is a term that tends to be used somewhat differently by neurologists and by dentists.’
- ‘Often lip and oral cavity cancers are found by dentists when examining the teeth.’
- ‘Tayside health chiefs admit they are struggling to find enough dentists to treat all the children who need care.’
- ‘Visit your dentist regularly and have your teeth professionally cleaned as required.’
- ‘Bad breath is usually caused by a problem in the mouth, so you need to visit your dentist for diagnosis.’
- ‘In the short-term, we will change the way dentists are remunerated for treating patients.’
- ‘Doctors, nurses even dentists are taken to court for not taking the right action or making a mistake.’
- ‘On the second visit, the dentist glues the veneer onto the front of the tooth.’
- ‘Your dentist or dental hygienist can apply topical fluorides during dental visits.’
- ‘If you do not go to the dentist, you may not know that you have these diseases until it's too late.’
- ‘Laughing gas is used by doctors and dentists as an anaesthetic or analgesic to numb pain, sedate and allay anxiety.’
Mid 18th century: from French dentiste, from dent tooth, from Latin dens, dent-.
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.