Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
1The degree of compactness of a substance.‘a reduction in bone density’
solidity, solidness, denseness, thickness, substance, bulk, weight, masscompactness, tightness, hardnessView synonyms
- ‘Syncopation in varying degrees of rhythmic density plays an important role in ‘Kohntarkosz.’’
- ‘The sheer volume, as well as the astonishing density of thought and image, of his wonderful notebooks testify to the amplitude of his intellectual interests.’
- ‘Encouraging the consumption of this single food, milk, may have lasting implications for nutrient density, bone health and body weight.’
- ‘Because it is a weight bearing activity, skating can build bone density to a certain degree.’
- ‘It also found a connection between the amount smoked, and the size and density of areas in the brain which are linked to higher nicotine dependence and increased impulsivity.’
- 1.1Computing A measure of the amount of information on a storage medium.[as modifier, in combination] ‘a low-density floppy disk’
- ‘With its incredibly high storage density, the DVD might just be the solution to two vexing problems.’
- ‘In today's cramped data centers, real estate is at a premium, and maximum storage density is a necessity.’
- ‘One way to increase storage capacity is to increase the areal density of the medium.’
- ‘The change to a higher capacity is interesting not only in terms of storage density, but also heat dissipation.’
- ‘While in its early stages, the technology shows potential for high speed, high density storage of data, while retaining data even when power is turned off.’
- 1.2Physics The quantity of mass per unit volume of a substance.
- ‘The strength of the absorption reveals the temperature, density, and mass of a gas cloud.’
- ‘The formula is easily derived by making assumptions about the mass density of the earth.’
- ‘We are further informed that scientific theories fail at a singularity, which is an event involving infinite mass, density, pressure and temperature.’
- ‘That is based on its average density, calculated by dividing total mass by volume.’
- ‘Refraction is the bending of light rays as they pass from one transparent medium to another medium of a different density; it is measured in diopters.’
- 1.3The opacity of a photographic image.
- ‘Hot and cool colors come together explosively within individual dishes, offering various effects of density and opacity.’
- ‘While the imagery was similar, the format and the images' density were not.’
- ‘Phone based cameras don't yet have sufficient image density to compete with true digital cameras, but they will in a few short years.’
- ‘The image will lighten considerably during clearing, but don't worry because all the lost density will return during toning and fixing.’
- ‘More exposure produces increasingly less density in the final negative.’
2The quantity of people or things in a given area or space.‘areas of low population density’[count noun] ‘a density of 10,000 per square mile’
- ‘It is not known why the understory of the Hermit forest had such uncharacteristically low total stem density and total basal area.’
- ‘The low population density in rural areas makes the provision of specialized mental health services in those areas impractical.’
- ‘Moore's Law states that the transistor density of a silicon chip will double every two years, allowing a corresponding increase in processor speed.’
- ‘The Government should develop a specific number of roads every year according to the traffic density of the area concerned.’
- ‘His large-scale color photographs illustrate the unbelievable density of Hong Kong's residential high-rises.’
Early 17th century: from French densité or Latin densitas, from densus dense.
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.