One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
1A device for measuring the density of a material.
- ‘The relative intensities were either estimated or measured using a device that determined the darkness of the spots called a densitometer.’
- ‘The protein fingerprints could be deciphered clearly upon scanning the gets using the laser densitometer.’
- ‘Unfortunately the stain cannot be read by densitometers that measure only white light.’
- ‘Measurement of signal intensity was performed with a laser densitometer (Bio-Rad) using the Molecular Analyst program on an IBM compatible computer.’
- ‘Relative protein levels were determined by scanning the immunoblot with a laser scanning densitometer.’
2An instrument for measuring the photographic density of an image on a film or photographic print.
- ‘A peripheral bone densitometer is used to screen for osteoporosis, and can make one aware of low bone mass.’
- ‘The resulting films were quantitated on an imaging densitometer.’
- ‘Photographs of the implants were taken with ‘control implants’ (an unused piece of nylon to correct for differences in film development) and analyzed with a densitometer.’
- ‘It is time to set aside the densitometer and resume my artistic endeavors.’
- ‘If you do not have a densitometer, you will have to print the negative to determine if its density and contrast range are suitable.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.