One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
(chiefly of bacteria) remove the nitrates or nitrites from (soil, air, or water) by chemical reduction.‘indigenous bacteria denitrify groundwater’
- ‘Much of this additional nitrogen is retained or denitrified in the watershed, but a substantial amount enters groundwater and rivers and eventually is delivered to estuaries and the ocean.’
- ‘We must find ways to either keep the nitrogen in the field or denitrify the water before it drains into streams and rivers.’
- ‘Oxygen-depleted waters also provide the perfect environment for the growth of a specialized group of bacteria called denitrifying bacteria.’
- ‘Still other types of bacteria ‘denitrify’ soil by breaking down its nitrogen compounds and returning free nitrogen to the air.’
- ‘So, when there is denitrifying bacteria that means the nitrate is being put back into the atmosphere?’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.