Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
(chiefly of bacteria) remove the nitrates or nitrites from (soil, air, or water) by chemical reduction.‘indigenous bacteria denitrify groundwater’
- ‘Still other types of bacteria ‘denitrify’ soil by breaking down its nitrogen compounds and returning free nitrogen to the air.’
- ‘Oxygen-depleted waters also provide the perfect environment for the growth of a specialized group of bacteria called denitrifying bacteria.’
- ‘We must find ways to either keep the nitrogen in the field or denitrify the water before it drains into streams and rivers.’
- ‘So, when there is denitrifying bacteria that means the nitrate is being put back into the atmosphere?’
- ‘Much of this additional nitrogen is retained or denitrified in the watershed, but a substantial amount enters groundwater and rivers and eventually is delivered to estuaries and the ocean.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.