Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
1Having a branched form resembling a tree:‘moss agate has a pale background colour with numerous darker dendritic patterns’
- ‘At birth most of the connections, including dendritic growth and branching and synapse formation, are missing.’
- ‘Non-drugged rats that were placed in the complex cages had spiny neurons with increased dendritic branching, reflecting new neuronal development.’
- ‘What we learn influences structures like dendritic branching and cell size; brain architectures in turn, support certain skills and abilities, which may lead us to select additional experiences.’
- ‘A dendritic creek pattern may develop which is the most efficient in terms of dissipating incoming wave and tidal energy by friction.’
- ‘For example, limestone often contains dendritic (tree-like) patterns formed by precipitating manganese dioxide, and they are unique as are snowflakes.’
- 1.1Physiology Relating to a dendrite or dendrites.
- ‘Arborescent and dendritic are terms that mean ‘treelike ‘- from the Latin arbor and the Greek dendron.’’
- ‘In a number of laboratory and clinical trials, dendritic cell immunotherapy had succeeded in eliciting a powerful immune response against brain tumor cells, but significant improvements in length of survival had not been realized.’
- ‘Normal dendritic accessory cells are a large family of morphologically distinctive potent antigen-presenting cells.’
- ‘Once activated, dendritic cells interact with other components of the immune system to stimulate the multiplication of a subset of T cells that will recognize and destroy infected cells.’
- ‘Rousing slumbering T cells is the job of dendritic cells, the sentinels of the immune system.’
- 1.2 (of a solid) consisting of crystalline dendrites:‘dendritic salt’
- ‘Fine specimens from this locality consist of lustrous lamellae to 3 cm long, prismatic crystals, and penetration twins producing arborescent or dendritic forms.’
- ‘This alloy, which is used widely for tubes, sheets and wires, also shows a dendritic structure of the a solid solution when chill fast.’
- ‘Also, the two geometries are mathematically equivalent with appropriate diffusion scaling, except for the fact that the bulk volume was 1000 fl, whereas the dendritic volume was 1 fl in most runs.’
- ‘The more pelitic samples contain euhedral orthopyroxene residual biotite, and dendritic ilmenite grains.’
- ‘When one sees dazzling dendritic arrays of crystalline gold such as that pictured here. it is tempting to imagine open cavities in the earth filled with breathtakingly beautiful similar crystallizations.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.