One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A synthetic polymer with a branching, tree-like structure.
- ‘Probably one of the most exciting aspects of dendrimers is their demonstrated capacity to encapsulate small molecules for controlled release.’
- ‘The nanoparticle system used by Baker's lab is based on dendrimers, star-like synthetic polymers that can carry a vast array of molecules on the ends of their arms.’
- ‘Highly branched stilbene dendrimers were synthesized and their photochemical behavior was studied.’
- ‘The fiber probe documented a fourfold increase in tumor fluorescence in animals that received the targeted dendrimer.’
- ‘The drug delivery vehicle used by the scientists is a manmade polymer molecule called a dendrimer.’
1990s: from Greek dendron ‘tree’ + -i- + -mer.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.