Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A synthetic polymer with a branching, tree-like structure.
- ‘The drug delivery vehicle used by the scientists is a manmade polymer molecule called a dendrimer.’
- ‘The nanoparticle system used by Baker's lab is based on dendrimers, star-like synthetic polymers that can carry a vast array of molecules on the ends of their arms.’
- ‘Probably one of the most exciting aspects of dendrimers is their demonstrated capacity to encapsulate small molecules for controlled release.’
- ‘The fiber probe documented a fourfold increase in tumor fluorescence in animals that received the targeted dendrimer.’
- ‘Highly branched stilbene dendrimers were synthesized and their photochemical behavior was studied.’
1990s: from Greek dendron tree + -i- + -mer.
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.