One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
1A substance which causes denaturation of proteins or other biological compounds.
- ‘Urea is a denaturant capable of inactivating peroxidase over time by changing the structural integrity of the enzyme.’
- ‘These observations underscore the complexity of the mechanism by which denaturants achieve their protein-unfolding action.’
- ‘Clearly, the protein stability decreases as the denaturant concentration is increased.’
- ‘The effect of denaturants on protein folding has long been investigated.’
- ‘Fig.6 shows that the protein molecules gradually increase their size when exposed to a denaturant.’
2A toxic or foul-smelling substance added to alcohol to make it unfit for drinking.
- ‘Methanol is used as a denaturant for grain alcohol.’
- ‘There are several grades of denatured alcohol, but the denaturants used are generally similar.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.