One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
- ‘You can be demurely sipping a cup of tea on the veranda of the old Moana Hotel, or boldly practicing your marksmanship at the Royal Hawaiian Shooting Club.’
- ‘He had originally proposed an idea for a tamer programme, aimed at a young audience but with contestants sitting demurely on a sofa answering general knowledge questions.’
- ‘She kissed him goodbye demurely, and he tipped his hat and set off with a swagger and a too tight gold band on his little finger.’
- ‘The girls are all demurely dressed in pleated navy blue skirts with pale blue and white sailor tops.’
- ‘Melbourne, Australia's second largest city, resides demurely in the shadow cast by its more flamboyant sister city, Sydney.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.