Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
Introduce competition into (a market or economy) by privatizing previously nationalized assets.‘the key ingredient, demonopolizing the economy, has not been fully approved’
- ‘Multinationals are lining up for the rush to begin for investment in Brazil's newly demonopolized petroleum sector.’
- ‘In all three countries, trade is now demonopolized and licensing and quotas play a very small role.’
- ‘Following the course of state economic reforms, our organization was the first who demonopolized its activity and introduced the system of certified experts.’
- ‘Broadcasting has got to be demonopolised for this purpose, just as the Internet is.’
- ‘On the basis of the state reform legislation that was approved in August 1989, the executive branch issued a series of orders to demonopolize and deregulate the oil and gas industry in Argentina.’
- ‘This is to become the first stage in demonopolizing foreign operations in the electricity industry.’
- ‘There is wide agreement that the calculation of utility costs is nontransparent and often arbitrary, and that the government is not interested in demonopolizing the industry.’
- ‘In mid-December the government set a timetable for demonopolizing its power sector.’
- ‘The government today plans to demonopolize the power sector.’
- ‘Due to recent demonopolizing of the market, other companies were invited to compete with it for domain name registrations.’
- ‘First of all, we should demonopolize the sector and develop competition to make the people receive good services at reasonable prices.’
- ‘Along with demonopolizing local telephone markets, one of the Telecommunications Act's great challenges is to reconcile our commitment to competition with our commitment to universal service.’
- ‘The conference papers and discussion suggested two basic recipes for achieving such purpose: labour market reform and further privatisation and demonopolising of the economy.’
- ‘Second, efforts could be made to demonopolize decision making, such that individual discretion is limited and accountability is strengthened.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.