One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
1Belief in the power of demons.
- ‘His treatment of demonism is written as an antidote to the outbreak of sorcery.’
- ‘Dyer's mystical demonism accounts for the ambivalent, exhilarating, and uncanny dimension of his architecture.’
- ‘Throughout history the tattoo bears the mark of paganism, demonism, Baal worship, shamanism, mysticism, heathenism, cannibalism and just about every other pagan belief known.’
- ‘At the same time, demonic possession increased dramatically, probably because demonism in general and witchcraft in particular were preoccupations of the age.’
- ‘They are trying to kill him, and this lethal intention enslaves them to lying and to demonism.’
- ‘This Rhapsody on a Theme of Paganini, recorded in Los Angeles in 1957, is one of the best in the catalog, particularly if you see demonism as an essential aspect of this work.’
2Action or behaviour that seems too cruel or wicked to be human.‘the demonism of warfare’
- ‘Weaver sees in this a species of the demonic, for demonism is ‘blind to everything except what it wants.’’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.