One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
- ‘The source of the problem was the initial demonetization of gold and silver which took place between 1913 and 1945.’
- ‘In the initial stages it involved an attempt to reduce the value of gold and silver relative to banknotes, ultimately followed by a policy announcing the complete demonetization of gold and a phased series of reductions in silver.’
- ‘The demonetization of cowries or manillas (copper rods) provoked strong protest from people whose savings were in these forms, to such a degree, indeed, that the British were eventually forced to offer conversion facilities.’
- ‘Parallel to currency substitution, growing demonetization - the reliance on barter trade - can fuel inflation.’
- ‘The long inflation which had given so much to the peasants for two generations had been associated with the world-wide demonetization of silver, which depressed its value in China and led to rising commodity prices.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.