One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A competition in which cars are driven into each other until only one car is left running.
- ‘The demolition derby put a fitting end to the night's classic carnage as the old cars from both classes fought each other to a standstill.’
- ‘Despite the night's destruction 20 cars made it onto the track for the demolition derby.’
- ‘You really need a front row start to be in with a chance of a clean race otherwise it can turn into a bit of a demolition derby and you could find yourself having to muscle your way past.’
- ‘Lost Creek Raceway also plans to host concerts, car shows, flea markets, and demolition derbies, thereby establishing itself as a true multi-use facility.’
- ‘Swimming with feeding Blue sharks is like directing traffic at a demolition derby, except they come at us from all angles.’
- ‘Everybody watched with vicarious intensity as the demolition derby continued, with both fighters getting caught and staggering.’
- ‘After a night of full metal contact only 8 cars limped out for the demolition derby finale.’
- ‘Greg and I have a date to go to the demolition derby this weekend, unless he has desk hours for his legal research class.’
- ‘The fair's climactic event, the demolition derby, is drawing big crowds to the fairgrounds.’
- ‘The third and final race turned out to be more like a demolition derby.’
- ‘Do the narrow streets of Nice seem like a very stupid place to stage a demolition derby?’
- ‘Yet this wonderful and loving documentary somehow turns a demolition derby into a profound statement on the importance of life and what makes this place special.’
- ‘Streamlined wheelchairs crash into each other with the ferocity of a demolition derby, and coaches bark orders from the sideline, with their usual bluntness.’
- ‘The sounds of the cars crashing during the demolition derby, along with the screams of excited, or maybe just drunk fans, added to the event's atmosphere.’
- ‘Five ‘semi-finalists’ were chosen to move into the second round of the demolition derby.’
- ‘The race was twice delayed by safety cars after initial laps that resembled more a demolition derby than a Grand Prix.’
- ‘All in all, it was not so much of a race, but more of a demolition derby, the sort of thing you see on dirt tracks in the USA or Australia.’
- ‘In a race that witnessed three safety car periods in was the last lap which resembled a demolition derby after the re-start.’
- ‘Among the most anticipated events was the chariot race, a horse-drawn demolition derby.’
- ‘Then came the in-betweens, made up of drivers over 25, whose hotly-contested race at times looked more like a demolition derby.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.