One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A crescent or half-circle, or a thing of this shape.as modifier ‘demilune shutters’
half-moon, sickle-shape, semicircleView synonyms
- ‘Crafted by hand, this demilune console table has a fossil stone top that adds an old-world feel to any environment.’
- ‘These are two demilunes I have just finished.’
- ‘Even so, the characteristic appearance of demilunes is nonetheless a useful diagnostic for identifying sero-mucous glands.’
- ‘The appearance of serous demilunes may, in fact, be an artifact of sample fixation.’
- ‘We make it easy to choose the best demilune table at the best price.’
Early 18th century: from French demi-lune, literally ‘half-moon’.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.