One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
1A being with partial or lesser divine status, such as a minor deity, the offspring of a god and a mortal, or a mortal raised to divine rank.‘some Roman emperors claimed descent from demigods such as Hercules’
- ‘This demigod assisted Lord Shiva in controlling the ghosts and goblins and hence it was considered important that he be satisfied by an offering of beautiful artifacts for his temple.’
- ‘The first and most important is the belief in the absolute oneness of God, the unitary nature of the divinity that allows for no pantheon of saints, demigods or divine consorts and children.’
- ‘Since the Big Island is the original Hawaiian homeland, it's where many of the gods, goddesses, and demigods live and are revered even today.’
- ‘They believed themselves descended from demigods whose divinity had degraded through centuries of interbreeding with lesser races.’
- ‘Few of his soldiers, shared Alexander's suicidal tendencies or his conviction that a glorious Homeric death in battle would necessarily assure one's status as a demigod post-mortem.’
- ‘These are conceived in terms of various spirits, ancestors, demigods, demons, and so on.’
- ‘Then she prayed to all the demigods, and they all appeared there.’
- ‘Yet there is much moral decision making in the course of the film, and how are actors to portray the moral decisions of demigods?’
- ‘This planet was essentially divided into separate realms, each ruled by a demigod or goddess, and the world existed in relative peace.’
- ‘He vanquished all demigods, and expelled them from heaven.’
- ‘The glow of colours in the paintings depicting the pharaohs, demigods and goddesses in vivid yellow ochre, blue and orange was breathtaking.’
- 1.1 A man who is greatly admired or respected.‘a former juvenile delinquent who would become a counterculture demigod’‘Roth even mocked the demigod James Joyce’‘he was hailed as a demigod style guru’
- ‘Leaders become demigods, and MPs lose being able to object constructively to party policies.’
- ‘I think it is absolutely amazing that we should be saying to a group that as part of their treaty settlement the courts will afford them the status of demigods.’
- ‘Yes, the band was too big and grand, and perhaps its members were convinced of their own demigod status.’
- ‘We caught up with the young Brit to find out how one becomes a demigod.’
- ‘Is it any surprise, then, that we have elevated sports heroes to the status of demigods?’
Mid 16th century: translating Latin semideus.
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.