Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A woman considered to belong to the demi-monde.
- ‘There were witless, self-important demi-mondaines and courtesans lauded in the popular press.’
- ‘After Lacroix, Man Ray spent about six years with the famed Parisian demi-mondaine Kiki de Montparnasse, to whom he devoted an entire chapter in his autobiography.’
- ‘They are in love with the same woman, the demi-mondaine Metella, and have come to meet her.’
- ‘The demi-mondaine only revealed half of herself, her promise and her success; this is what makes her so elusive, and thus so desirable.’
- ‘Also included in the art of this period were images of prostitutes and demi-mondaines who became identified with the decadent pleasures of the cabarets and brothels of Montmartre.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.