One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
- archaic term for schizophrenia
- ‘Schizophrenia, which used to be called early dementia or dementia praecox, is a devastating mental illness.’
- ‘Among the illnesses he described were manic-depression and dementia praecox, a disorder renamed schizophrenia (split mind) by the Swiss psychiatrist Eugene Bleuler in 1911.’
- ‘He was suffering from total amnesia and dementia praecox and was duly incarcerated in an asylum in Rodez in central France.’
- ‘Emil Kraepelin proposed links between dementia praecox and hormones in 1892.’
- ‘Or is she suffering from what German psychiatrist Emil Kraepelin called dementia praecox, the antecedent of today's schizophrenia?’
Latin, literally ‘early insanity’.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.