One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A dispute between trade unions about who should do a particular job.
- ‘There is a demarcation dispute in process, your Honour, which may need to be resolved.’
- ‘The demarcation dispute involving 55 workers was ended when the company and the union signed a 12-month agreement.’
- ‘Resistance to mechanization and technical change, new work methods and payments systems, and demarcation disputes were the main reasons for this form of industrial action.’
- ‘More industrial unions were created at the expense of traditional craft unions, but demarcation disputes and unofficial strikes were frequent.’
- ‘Departments do not co-operate and demarcation disputes are common.’
- ‘This has a particular resonance for medicine, the profession that historically has policed these demarcation disputes most effectively to its own advantage.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.