One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A dispute between trade unions about who should do a particular job.
- ‘This has a particular resonance for medicine, the profession that historically has policed these demarcation disputes most effectively to its own advantage.’
- ‘Departments do not co-operate and demarcation disputes are common.’
- ‘More industrial unions were created at the expense of traditional craft unions, but demarcation disputes and unofficial strikes were frequent.’
- ‘The demarcation dispute involving 55 workers was ended when the company and the union signed a 12-month agreement.’
- ‘There is a demarcation dispute in process, your Honour, which may need to be resolved.’
- ‘Resistance to mechanization and technical change, new work methods and payments systems, and demarcation disputes were the main reasons for this form of industrial action.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.