One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Plates, dishes, and other similar items; crockery.‘the cacophony of tin on delph as the boys wolfed their food from their plates with cheap cutlery’
dishes, pots, crocks, plates, bowls, cups, saucersView synonyms
- ‘It is well worth a visit as there are bargains in furniture, household goods, delph and bric-a-brac.’
- ‘Their trousers stuck like glue to the dresser and they brought the dresser down on top of them and all the delph dropped on the floor.’
- ‘There is a definite move away from minimalism with even plain white delph adorned by texture, French antique finishes and softer lines.’
- ‘All saleable items would be greatly appreciated, including furniture, delph and bric-a-brac (no clothes).’
- ‘We need to think about the nuns who stood at a sink for 60 years washing delph to augment the measly contribution of the state to the care of the young.’
- ‘The cottage has all the original features - open fireplace with crane and cooking pots, pouch bed, loft, stone flag floor, a dresser filled with shining delph and many interesting artefacts from the past.’
Variant of delft.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.