Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
Treat (a person or animal) to rid them of lice and other parasitic insects.‘they were given showers and deloused’
- ‘Then they made us strip, hosed us down with cold water, and sprayed us with a delousing powder.’
- ‘No, the donkey shipment had already been cleaned and deloused.’
- ‘Pay a visit to the camp infirmary, get your clothes deloused, or just park yourself in the latrine and fight that nasty case of amoebic dysentery you picked up along the way - it's up to you.’
- ‘Overall, 56 of the children were treated using the Bug Busting method and 70 using over-the-counter delousing products.’
- ‘A victim of racism and classism, the asthmatic loner finds himself being degraded in every way imaginable, including a delousing that will make your scalp recoil.’
- ‘But I've had a shave, a haircut, I've been deloused.’
- ‘American consumers - and especially the military, which had used pyrethrum for delousing front-line troops - howled for the development of a suitable substitute.’
- ‘Where possible, the army arranged for the men to have baths in huge vats of hot water while their clothes were being put through delousing machines.’
- ‘Using this knowledge, ARS and military entomologists came up with a system for mass delousing of civilian populations.’
- ‘Among the substances currently being studied for their potential as delousing agents in salmon are the pyrethroid insecticides.’
- ‘We delouse everybody when they come in and once a week after that.’
- ‘People were deported to the camps in cattle cars, and upon arrival, usually separated from their families, tattooed with a serial number, deloused, and completely shaven.’
- ‘He bragged that he could remove his shoes and drive flies from your hangar, delouse your dog from 50 feet and, if the wind was right, even delay the sunrise for up to an hour.’
- ‘A laundry was established where inmates were washed and deloused; DDT was used on everyone in the camp and in all the huts to prevent the spread of typhus.’
- ‘After looking at the beautiful girl some more, they decide to go get deloused and cleaned up.’
- ‘He's assigned to the inmate group and is stripped naked, deloused, and given a potato sack-style uniform with the number 77 etched on the front.’
- ‘The development of the Zyklon gas chamber was transferred from sanitary practices of delousing.’
- ‘He was bathed; and scrubbed; and deloused; and perfumed.’
- ‘All entered the prison through The Fort gates, into the foreboding search and delousing room immediately inside the gates.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.