Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
1Becoming liquid, or having a tendency to become liquid.
- ‘Remember that there may technically be stronger drinks in the desert, but since ethanol is deliquescent, any such drinks would absorb water from the air to remain at most 96% by volume alcohol.’
- ‘Like bookends to the main event, he added orderly and totemic panels of more intimate scale, frosted over by a deliquescent rust applied like wash to gatherings of yet more lost things.’
- ‘That said, his third solo exhibition at Kasmin featured 10 roiling, deliquescent abstractions that refer less to nature than to the mediated status of its representation.’
- ‘This was no deliquescent cucumber or a yoghurt dangerously beyond its sell-by date.’
- ‘We have the technology so let's use it to ‘ring up’ our fridge and spot the deliquescent cucumber tucked away behind that banana yoghurt no one likes.’
- ‘Like a funeral, an epilogue mitigates an annihilating ending with deliquescent anticlimax.’
- ‘We marvel at the exquisite tracery of a leaf, the play of light against the bark of a tree, the reflections and ripples in a puddle of water, the deliquescent radiance of a human eye.’
(of a solid) tending to absorb moisture from the air and dissolve in it.
- ‘The number of particles is independent of the deliquescent state at which they are measured.’
- ‘The aqueous-phase chemistry of deliquescent sea-salt aerosols in the remote marine boundary layer is investigated with a steady state box model.’
- ‘Potassium carbonate is deliquescent, which means that it will absorb water from the air.’
Late 18th century: from Latin deliquescent- dissolving, from the verb deliquescere (see deliquesce).
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.