Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
Causing delight; charming.‘a delightful secluded garden’
charming, enchanting, captivating, bewitching, entrancing, engaging, appealing, winning, fetching, sweet, endearing, cutevery pleasant, lovely, greatly to one's liking, very agreeable, very pleasurableView synonyms
- ‘Still, it provided some respite from the delightful aroma of cigarettes.’
- ‘My cough sounds delightful like two pieces of sandpaper rubbing together in a rugby brawl.’
- ‘Even his gloves glowed before him, and he found the sensation quite delightful.’
- ‘Here, the delightful aroma of tea will envelope and invigorate you.’
- ‘A good cup of hot cocoa sounded delightful at the moment, and Eric licked his lips.’
- ‘This is a truly delightful detached home in an excellent location.’
- ‘The salmon was moist and succulent, the pastry buttery, rich and golden, delightful.’
- ‘I found it quite delightful, very different and definitely worth seeing.’
- ‘But she parried our questions with a wit that reminds us why we found her mother so delightful.’
- ‘Either way, the idea behind it sounds delightful.’
- ‘I've eaten all of these recipes, and they are absolutely delightful.’
- ‘It's a venue for every occasion and one that offers delightful meals for special calendar dates.’
- ‘She was a delightful woman and made a enormous contribution to the council.’
- ‘The thing I have found most delightful is having friends all over the world.’
- ‘"Well, isn't this a delightful surprise, " Ella purred.’
- ‘Anyway, it has also been delightful to be back seeing my loved ones.’
- ‘The extras return to the formula and do not have any delightful surprises.’
- ‘Few come to Italy without thinking that it would be delightful to live there.’
- ‘And then today some delightful woman decided she would join the plebs and go swimming.’
- ‘What a truly delightful prospect to be given the task of editing the entire Eircom phone directory.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.