Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
[mass noun] Action taken to gain time, especially a military engagement that delays the advance of an enemy.
- ‘His courageous delaying action enabled his comrades to reorganize and effect an orderly withdrawal.’
- ‘The new 1945 plan called for delaying action along the border and withdrawal to prepared defensive lines and then to a stronghold area in southeastern Manchuria.’
- ‘Even in the short term, this move is a nice delaying action.’
- ‘And the plan was to fight a delaying action, not decisive battles: Let the Napoleon invade.’
- ‘Just as in dispersed defense, delaying action can include a wide use of artificial obstacles of all types, ambush action, and blocking fire.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.