Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
The action or process of reducing the number of levels in the hierarchy of employees in an organization.‘downsizing and delayering have severely undermined staff loyalty’
- ‘A comprehensive process of institutional delayering has to be kick-started.’
- ‘At this level, delayering is accompanied by the need for self-supervision by work groups (sometimes called their empowerment).’
- ‘Downsizing, delayering, and rising credentialism are factors that have careers during the 1980s and 1990s, resulting in spiral and transitory career patterns becoming more common.’
- ‘Amid downsizing and delayering, most employees face both fewer opportunities for promotion and little hope of escape to some new employer.’
- ‘The delayering thrust in organizations is said to occur due to technological change, increased global competition, and retrenchment during recessions.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.