Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
Remove the ions or ionic constituents from (a substance, especially water)‘the sample is placed in deionized water’
- ‘Seeds were germinated in the dark on filter papers moistened with deionized water.’
- ‘I washed the film for 30 minutes and carried out a final rinse with deionised water with a few drops of wetting agent added.’
- ‘The plants were washed thoroughly with deionized distilled water, dried in a shed, and compressed into a powder with the help of a manual grinder.’
- ‘The remaining ‘bulk sand’ was washed with 100 cm of deionized water, and the washing solution passed through glass wool.’
- ‘Hydrated leaves were sectioned and viewed in deionized water.’
- ‘All the reagents were of the highest quality available and deionized double-distilled water was used throughout the experiments.’
- ‘I highly recommend a reverse osmosis / deionizing water filter, if you don't already have one.’
- ‘The digested feed solution was filtered into a 50-ml volumetric flask and made up to volume with deionized water.’
- ‘The extract was evaporated at 40°C then dissolved with 0.5 ml of deionized water.’
- ‘Glassware was cleaned with chromic acid, rinsed with plenty of deionized water and dried in a clean environment.’
- ‘The resulting solution was made up to 100 ml with deionized water.’
- ‘All solutions were prepared using fresh deionized water.’
- ‘Between fertilizer applications, the pots were kept moist with acidified, deionized water.’
- ‘It was dissolved to various stock concentrations with deionized water.’
- ‘Distilled, deionized water was used for sample preparation.’
- ‘This reactor uses deionised water for ozone generation.’
- ‘The iodine concentration of the deionized water was determined with the catalytic reduction method.’
- ‘The etched wire in the capillary was washed with copious deionized water, and then with acetone.’
- ‘Cholesterol was dissolved in ethanol and distilled, deionized water was added dropwise until a white precipitate appeared.’
- ‘The last residues were washed with deionized water until the washes reached pH 5.5.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.