Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
Relating to or denoting a word or expression whose meaning is dependent on the context in which it is used (such as here, you, me, that one there, or next Tuesday).Also called indexical
- ‘The algorithm accounts for deictic as well as anaphoric referential identifications.’
- ‘The third-person examples are much improved if the pronouns are clearly deictic rather than anaphoric; the first-person examples are already deictic, of course.’
- ‘Action signs, like vocal signs also take part in deictic (space/time) reference, indexicality and performativity.’
- ‘In these ‘referential’ uses, it is replaceable by the deictic pronouns this and that (This is red, That is possible).’
- ‘In acts of deictic reference, speakers integrate schematic with local knowledge.’
A deictic word or expression.
- ‘They center in the words ‘tangent’, ‘quiet’, ‘evidence’, the notable enjambment at the end of the line group, and the deictics ‘Here’ and ‘there’.’
- ‘Particular attention is given to the minute performance of pronouns and deictics such as ‘this’ and ‘that’ which mark the boundaries between ‘us’ and ‘them'’.’
- ‘The deictics in are introduced by ‘here’ or ‘there’ and serve to direct the hearer's attention to an entity currently in the speaker's perceptual field.’
- ‘Not surprisingly, there's a predominant use of deictics throughout the text, ‘now’ ‘here’ ‘I’, a device used here to confirm, the congruence of the writer with the time and place of writing.’
- ‘To understand a deictic is therefore not to ‘interpret’ it but simply to grasp by observation what it singles out in the physical situation of utterance.’
Early 19th century: from Greek deiktikos, deiktos capable of proof, from deiknunai to show.
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.